- Boards & Committees
- Zoning Hearing Board
Zoning Hearing Board
The Zoning Hearing Board is a direct result of the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, Act of 1968, P.L805, No.247. Full information can be obtained on the Department of State website, or by viewing the full Act document (PDF).
Download the Zoning Hearing Application (PDF), last updated on June 4, 2014.
In accordance with the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code and Division 83 of the Middle Smithfield Township Zoning Ordinance the Township Board of Supervisors has created a Zoning Hearing Board consisting of five members, appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Members of the Board shall hold no other office in the Township, either elected or appointed. The Board of Supervisors may appoint at least one, but not more than three, residents to serve as alternate members of the Zoning Hearing Board.
- Josephine Ferro- Chairperson
- Art Jenkins- Vice Chairperson
- Jeff Senholzi
- Melonie Schmid
- Gary Morris
- Robert Kidwell, Esq. - Zoning Hearing Board Solicitor
The Zoning Hearing Board shall have exclusive jurisdiction to hear and render a decision in the following matters:
- Substantive challenges to the validity of any land use ordinance, except those brought before the governing body pursuant to the MPC for curative amendments and validity challenges
- Appeals from the determination of the Zoning Officer
- Appeals from the determination of the municipal engineer or Zoning Officer with reference to the administration of a floodplain or flood hazard ordinance or such provisions within a land use ordinance.
- Applications for variances
- Applications for special exceptions
- Appeals from the determination of any officer or agency charged with the administration of any transfer of development rights or performance density provisions.
- Appeals from the Zoning Officer's determination
- Appeals from the determination of the Zoning Officer or municipal engineer in the administration of any land use ordinance or provision thereof with reference to the sedimentation and erosion control and stormwater management insofar as the same relate to development not involving Article V or VII applications of the MPC.